Ear pain is called Karnakandu karnashopha in Ayurveda and it can be very painful for your little one.
Your baby will have some of these symptoms like continuously rubbing or tugging at an ear, having fever, oozing fluid from the ear, problems with the response to sounds will be fussy and irritated due to ear pain, and will have difficulty sleeping.
Types of Ear Infections
- A middle ear infection (acute otitis media) is an infection in the middle ear.
- Another condition that affects the middle ear is called otitis media with effusion. It occurs when fluid builds up in the middle ear without being infected and without causing fever, ear pain, or pus build-up in the middle ear.
- When the outer ear canal is infected, the condition is called the swimmer’s ear, which is different from a middle ear infection.
- Bacteria, like Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae the two most common bacterial causes, and Viruses, like those that cause colds or flu.
Please see a doctor if your child has:
- A fever of 102.2°F (39°C) or higher.
- Pus, discharge, or fluid coming out their ear.
- Side effects of a middle ear infection that lasted for more than 2–3 days.
Your child’s doctor may suggest watching and waiting to see if your child needs antibiotics. This gives the immune system time to fight off the infection. If your child doesn’t feel better after 2–3 days of rest, extra fluids, and pain relievers, the doctor may write a prescription for an antibiotic.
This means that your child’s doctor may give an antibiotic prescription but suggest that you wait 2–3 days to see if your child is still sick before filling it.
How to prevent ear infections?
- Receive recommended vaccines, such as flu vaccine and pneumococcal vaccine. The Pneumococcal vaccine protects against a common cause of middle ear infections and streptococcus pneumonia.
- Wash your hands.
- Breastfeed exclusively until your baby is 6 months old and continue to breastfeed for at least 12 months.
- Don’t smoke around your baby and avoid exposure to second-hand smoke as well.